I hate to break it to you, but “Can you see my screen?” is not an icebreaker question. We`ve got some pretty funny ones for you though.
Keep on reading to find out how fun icebreaker questions can turn plain-old gatherings into great meetings.
What are icebreaker questions?
First things first. To create fun icebreaker questions, you should understand what icebreaker questions are, to begin with. Basically, they are prompts that you can include at the beginning of any gathering, with the purpose of revealing personal information about its participants.
You can use icebreaker questions at the beginning of a class, during work meetings, for team-building activities, or in any other group setting – you get the point. In this way, your students or work colleagues get to know what was Britney`s worst haircut, what`s Dave`s most used emoji, or when did you start hating mushrooms. Lovely, isn`t it?
The great thing with fun icebreaker questions is that they are versatile and have more than one purpose.
- To diffuse anxiety and create a relaxing environment
If you`re about to have a tough meeting, a round of these could help ease the tension, so that you could dive into the serious stuff a bit more relaxed. Fun icebreaker questions could be a great activity for coffee breaks as well.
- To bond with others
If you`re a newbie at your firm and you`re joining your first meeting, icebreaker questions could be a great way to introduce yourself to the team.
Even if you`ve been around for quite some time, you might find out interesting things about the other folks, and you could even strengthen the bond with some of them.
- To build up your confidence
Last but not least, answering these questions and sharing personal information will not only build up your confidence but will also improve your public speaking skills. So… go for it!
How does this work?
Bad news: If not planned ahead, this could go wrong.
You might think: “Well, it`s not rocket science. I`m gonna ask a question and everyone will answer. It shouldn`t be that difficult, right?”
Actually, it could.
- First and foremost, you should prepare your questions. At this step, you should take into account your audience and purpose. Are we talking about icebreakers for teens? Work colleagues? Higher education students? Think about the group dynamic (age, occupation, interests) and the goals (do you want them to get to know each other, to connect on a deeper level, or just to ease some of the tension by having a great laugh at the beginning of a meeting?).
- Second, the setting is essential. Is it a virtual meeting or an outdoor teambuilding activity?
- Then, figure out how the order in which people will answer the fun icebreaker questions. The host should prompt it, name who is going to be next, and then give their own answer as a demo. If you are in a circle, you could continue in that direction. If you are in a virtual meeting, every person could name the one who gets to answer afterward.
- Think about how much time you have got for this. You wouldn`t want to miss the key points of your meeting because of a game.
- Start simple fun icebreaker questions to which anyone could come up with an answer. If the group gets more comfortable with each other and you still have time on the clock, you could increase the level of difficulty, to make things more interesting and fun.
What are some fun icebreaker questions?
We know what they mean, we know how they help, and we know how to run the process. Let the game begin. Here`s a list of some FUN icebreaker questions:
- What commercial jingle gets stuck in your head all the time?
- What’s the craziest fashion trend you ever rocked?
- What fictional family would you most like to join?
- What is your go-to karaoke anthem?
- What “old person” things do you do?
- Who is your favorite “Friends” character?
- Imagine you are a professional boxer. What is your introduction song?
- What’s the worst haircut you ever had?
- What dance move are you secretly fantastic at?
- You are stranded on a remote desert island. Are you alone or with your worst enemy?
- Did you ever do something wrong as a kid, but manage to pin it on your siblings?
- Pull out your phone; what is your most-used emoji?
- What is a weird fact you know?
- How long would you last in a zombie apocalypse?
- You can only eat one food again for the rest of your life. What is it?
- What is your favorite knock-knock joke?
- Do you love Hugh Grant?
- If you had to delete all but 3 apps from your smartphone, which ones would you keep?
- Show us your phone background and tell the story behind why you picked this image.
- What’s the most ridiculous thing your parents ever did to embarrass you?
- Tell us about your worst haircut ever.
- What did you get into the most trouble for with your parents as a kid?
- Should college be mandatory?
- If you were a fish, what type would you be?
- If you had your human body, but the head of an animal, what animal would you pick?
- Would you rather have a pet sloth or a pet parrot?
- Which trap in “Home Alone” was the best?
- What weird fashion trend would you bring back?
- Which movie made you laugh hard?
- Does your car have a name? What is it?
- Do you fold your pizza?
- Do you prefer big dogs or small dogs?
- When did you start liking/hating mushrooms?
- What actor or actress would you want to play you in the movie about your life?
- What is your favorite decade and why?
- What is the most obscure superpower you would want?
- What is the best thing you have bought so far this year?
- What movie do you wish you could watch again for the first time?
- How would you rate your laugh out of 10?
- What is a current trend that you just don’t understand?
- What is the best romantic comedy?
- Which superpower would you give to your arch-enemy?
- Imagine you can instantly learn any language. Which would you choose?
- Would you want to have an imaginary friend today? Did you have one as a child?
- What are your favorite songs from your teenage years that you still rock out to when nobody else is listening?
- What’s the craziest dare you ever took?
- What’s the best prank you’ve ever played on someone?
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- What’s the most embarrassing moment from your teen years?
- What dog breed would you be?
- Would you rather be reincarnated as a cat or a dog?
- Who was your childhood famous crush?
- Choose one famous person from history you want on your team during a zombie apocalypse.
- If you could try any food, what would it be?
- What is the best superpower?
- What celebrity do most people say you look like?
- What is your favorite type of sandwich?
- What’s your silliest memory with your best friend?
- Who is the most interesting Disney character?
- What food would you never eat?
- Have you ever met your idol?
- Would you go in the mother-ship with aliens if they landed on Earth tomorrow?
- What bucket list item do you most want to check off in the next six months?
- What emoji best describes how you are feeling right now?
- What was the most unique style or fashion trend you ever embraced?
- Have you ever been to a funny comedy show?
- What do your family and friends think you do all day?
- Would you support “National Avocado Day” as a work holiday?
- What coworker characteristic do you find most irritating?
- Who is your office crush?
- What was the worst job you ever had?
- How would you describe your job to a five-year-old?
- There are now 25 hours in a day! How do you spend your extra hour?
- What’s the single, most important factor that you would change about your job?
- What is something you did at work that no one noticed?
- How much money would you need to win to walk away from your current job?
- Professional, casual, or sweatpants? If there were no dress code, how would you dress for work?
- What is one important skill that you think everyone should have?
- What is one of your greatest work-related achievements?
- What activity helps you relieve stress at work?
- What class did you take in school that helps you with your job?
- What is the most significant factor, that your organization has control over, that interferes with your success?
- Would it be better to start work five years later or end five years earlier?
Fun icebreaker questions for meetings
- Coffee or cheese?
- Teleportation or flying?
- Popcorn or M&M`s?
- Bacon or avocado?
- What’s is one thing we don’t know about you?
- Are you a night owl or an early bird?
- What is your favorite breakfast food?
- Which band or artist – dead or alive – would play at your funeral?
- What sport would you compete in if you were in the Olympics?
- What’s your favorite tradition or holiday?
- What fictional world or place would you like to visit?
- Do you think you could live without your phone for 24 hours?
- Are you a traveler or a homebody?
- What book that you`ve recently read would recommend and why?
- If you had a time machine, would go back in time or into the future?
- What’s one career you wish you could have?
- Do you have a favorite plant?
- What is your favorite meal to cook and why?
- Where did you grow up?
- What is your go-to excuse for being late to virtual meetings?
- What is your WiFi name?
- What is your go-to work drink?
- Would you rather work from the desert or with dessert?
- What is going on in your space that we can’t see on the screen?
- What was your most recent Google search?
- Would you vote online?
- How long have you worked from home?
- What was your first online username?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how experienced are you with remote work?
- Where do you consider “home”?
- Which web browser do you use most?
- Which website do you spend the most time on?
- What is the last YouTube video you watched?
- Show us the weirdest thing you have in the room with you right now.
Fun team icebreaker questions
- Were the Spice Girls a good team?
- Can lone wolves be part of a team?
- Would you rather join Metallica or Backstreet Boys?
- Would you rather be an Avenger or a Power Ranger?
- What was the first team you were part of?
- Which real team is the best team of all time?
- Would you rather do a large project independently or as part of a team?
- What is something you accomplished as part of a team?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how much of a team player are you?
- What is your earliest memory of teamwork?
- Which fictional team is the best team of all time?
Awkward, fun icebreaker questions
- What is a simple dance move that you are bad at?
- You are the best criminal mastermind in the world. What crime would you commit if you knew you would get away with it?
- Imagine you could teleport anywhere. Where would you go right now?
- Would you want to have a personal assistant follow you around everywhere and do what you asked of them?
- What reality show would you want to be on?
- What season would you be?
- What is a weird food you have tried? Would you eat it again?
- If you could have an unlimited supply of one thing for the rest of your life, what would you pick?
- Would you let aliens beam you up if they came to Earth?
- What is your favorite song to sing?
- There is a free, round-trip shuttle to Mars. The catch: it will take one year of your life to go, visit, and come back. Are you in?
- What vegetable is best with cheese?
“Would you rather” fun icebreaker questions
- Would you rather be the funniest or smartest person in the room?
- Would you rather be a superhero or the world’s best chef?
- Would you rather lose all of your money or all of your pictures?
- Would you rather always be slightly late or super early?
- Would you rather meet your travel back in time to meet your ancestors or to the future to meet your descendants?
- Would you rather be able to run at 100 miles per hour or fly at 10 miles per hour?
- Would you rather live without heat and AC or live without social media?
- Would you rather be an Olympic gold medallist or an astronaut?
- Would you rather have invisibility or flight?
- Would you rather live where it only snows or the temperature never falls below 100 degrees?
Feel free to bookmark or print our list for easy access, and use it every time you plan a round of fun icebreaker questions!
However, if you want to unleash your creativity, do so! Come up with some great prompts next time you`re a host and make your participants really enjoy their time there.
For more fun, keep an eye on eTeamBuilding!